Sunday, October 31, 2010

Handmade Cards vs. Mass Market Pricing

I was reading a post on a handmade selling venue a while back taking a poll as to how much shoppers would pay for a handmade card. It shocked me when I read how little some buyers were willing to spend. If I remember correctly, the average price was about $3.00. Now it's incomprehensible to me that shoppers will buy shelf cards in their local stores for $5 or $6 a pop, but hesitate to purchase a handmade card for the same or lower price! As any paper crafter knows, it takes time and supply money to create something special. It's not unreasonable to expect the same or higher prices than mass market cards! But alas, many card makers create for the sheer pleasure of the craft and must sell cheaply to make sales. Too bad... card crafting is an art form. Card makers (and scrapbookers as well!) should get decent compensation for their hard work. I'd love to hear what you have to say on this subject.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would rather keep the cards than sell them at that price. Currently I am in the process of building a card and gift shop/studio. I am planning on a $8 per card price tag. This leaves some room for sale pricing. 3 for $20, etc. The cards are mainly my way of getting people in the door to see and purchase my paintings but I am not going to give away all that time and hard work. Thanks for sharing! I was wondering what others might be selling cards for.

Nancy said...

When I had my Etsy and Artfire shops, I seldom sold any of my handmade cards. They are well made, etc., its just that people didn't want to buy them. Now in other venues where the customer can pick them up and look at them, I do rather well. But like you said, Pat, people don't want to pay for them. Argghh. I have a few hundred right now and haven't figure out what to do with them! LOL!